Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hola Barcelona!


10 hours from Los Angeles to London, a cancelled flight in London, 5 hours on standby at Heathrow airport, and a 3 hour flight to Barcelona later... buenos dias in Spain and where in the world are my travel bags?
Apparently London's airport could take up an entire continent within itself so I wasn't too surprised when we arrived in Barcelona with a plane full of CEA students and all the wrong bags. Filed baggage claims and finally took the bus to Hotel Berna at 5 AM where we walk in to find a sea of CEA students walking in from their night out- typical. Bugging about the bags sitch I was lucky to find my roommates Sara and Ellen getting back from Opium nightclub to calm me down, tell me they've been having the time of their lives, and tuck me into bed with Amanda.
Slept for 12 hours and woke up at 7:30 not sure if it was AM or PM and ready to say "I'm EXHAUSTED" if it was AM. Boys we met on the plane contacted us to let us know they found our bags at the airport so we obviously convinced them to bring 7 bags back to us for 50 euros that were well worth it. We chilled in the hotel and waited, still disheveled.
Next two days are quite a blur- went out to dinner with the boys for our first meal of tappas and sangria- partied at Opium Mar- woke up to be assigned to our apartment.
Ok, kind of nervous about housing after we were told not to have "high expectations," visiting Yarden's shoebox of an apartment 2 years ago when she studied abroad, and Jenna forcing me to pack shower shoes and expect to be utterly grossed out by my apartment. We get dropped off on our street, Buenaventura Munoz, take the ele to our apartment and walk in. Nigel, our fabulously cute British landlord who totally reminds me of J. Alexander from Top Model, is sitting in the living room with a zipped up grey American Apparel hoodie, a scarf around his neck, and a motorcycle helmet on the table. 2 steps in and I freak out. Face DROPS, heart mellltttsss, and eye bulge out of my head. Nigel cracks up- "I wish I took a picture of your face, you look like you just won a million dollar makeover." Wasn't expecting a newly furnished by IKEA modern and beautiful apartment in a residential area by the water in a neighborhood I'd describe to look like Central Park in New York. The only "bad" thing I could think of was the fact that I brought bedding for a tiny twin size bed and got a spacious double- no complaints.



No comments:

Post a Comment